Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Inspiration from Ratatouille

(Please do not continue reading if you intend to watch the movie before knowing the plot)

Ratatouille is the latest animated cartoon by Pixar. Remy is a young rat who grew up in the French countryside with a dream of becoming a cook. Later, he arrived in Paris, the city that was said to have the best cuisine in the world. Remy has to overcome various obstacles to become a great cook, despite Remy's family's skepticism and the rat-hating world of humans.

Someone might say "hey, c'mon, this is just a cartoon, which means everything is created from human imagination and is utterly unrealistics. The ending can go either way, based on the decision of its director." Oh well, unrealistics it might be, but I did learn something from this little mouse:

Remy, (the rat's name, in case you've forgotten) grew up in a rat colony which believes that the destiny of being a rat is to eat from what's leftover at the garbage, also known as, junk. But this particular young rat has a strong belief on the motto of his cooking idol, Chef Gasteau, that "Everyone can cook" and "Food always come to those who loves to cook". It is this belief that gave him the courage to go against the will of his father and the destiny of a rat, and to prove to the world that he too, can become a great cook.

Below are some quotes in the movie which I have copied from the IMDB website (http://www.imdb.com/) to be shared with those who understand what I am talking about:

Remy: ...I think it's apparent that I need to rethink my life a little bit. I can't help myself. I... I like good food, ok? And... good food is... hard for a rat to find!
Django: It wouldn't be so hard to find, if you weren't so picky!
Remy: I don't wanna eat garbage dad!


Remy: [observing what Emile is eating] What is that?
Emile: [pause] I don't really know.
Remy: You dunno... and you're eating it?
Emile: You know, once you muscle your way past the gag reflex, all kinds of possibilities open up.
Remy: This is what I'm talking about.

(Aren't we getting used to things that are given to us and never think whether if we like or dislike, and whether we can get something better?)

Django: [showing the exterminator shop to Remy with the dead rats in the window] The world we live in belongs to the enemy, we must live carefully. We look out for our own kind, Remy. When all is said and done, we're all we've got.
Remy: No. Dad, I don't believe it. You're telling me that the future is - can only be - more of this?
Django: This is the way things are; you can't change nature.
Remy: Change is nature, Dad. The part that we can influence. And it starts when we decide.
Django: [Remy turns to leave] Where are you going?
Remy: With luck, forward.


Similarity to our real life? Aren't we grown up in a society that keep telling us that we should always study hard in school, get a good grade so that we can get into good universities? From there, study even harder, get even better results because ultimately, these results are going to go with our resume when we apply for jobs. So, after striving for 20+ years (if you're good enough, maybe 1 or 2 years earlier than the rest) to do well in studies, some of us might be lucky (well, or unlucky) enough to get a nice and confortable job, high salary (compared to our fellow friends and students) in a big company. Although started at a low level, we are being told to work (sometimes called learn) hard, because one day, with fingers crossed, those above us will retire, resign, die or whatever, and that's our chance to climb up the corporate ladder to fill the gap. Well, work hard for another 20+ years (again, someone might be luckier with fewer years than the others), one day, we might get a higher position and a fatter salary (also fingers crossed). We will then become the star of the family, the talk at every reunions, the role model for the younger generations and etc. Big Deal!!

If you find it thrilling climbing the corporate ladder, so be it! And if you are not able to get good grades, it doesn't mean that's the end of the world, many rich people you see today have not even graduated from colleges. Get a good job isn't the only way to financial freedom, neither is getting a good grade in school. I have not done extremely well in school and have no talent in anything. However, I believe, everyone of us have the chance to achieve what we want in life, if we try hard enough! For my case, I like investing. I like to look at interesting businesses, reading financial reports and the chance to share a piece of the cakes. I get really excited when I see companies selling at discounted valuation. I believe if I learn hard and follow the right path in investing, it will ultimately lead me to what I want in life. Remember "everyone can cook"? I would like to say "everyone can invest" and "everyone can get what they want".

No comments: